Signed song in the opening ceremony

Adam Schembri acschembri at HOTMAIL.COM
Sat Sep 16 23:05:20 UTC 2000

>I have a couple of questions --
>
>-Were they using Auslan?

Yes, they were using signs from Auslan. I have just found out that a friend
of mine, a former actor with the Australian Theatre of the Deaf, acted as
their consultant. She was contacted only a few weeks ago, however.

>-How would you judge the quality of their signing -- as typical "Hearing
>signing learned for purposes of this one show" or seemingly fluent?

Definitely the former. The lead singer, Nikki Webster, "mispronounced" a few
signs.

>-I recognized CELEBRATION -- this is an ASL influence?

It may be. There has been a significant amount of borrowing from ASL in some
areas of the lexicon. Some recent research by McKee & Kennedy found around
30% of the vocabulary of ASL and Auslan is identical.