teacher evaluation protocols

Karlin, Ben mfkarlb at MAIL.DMH.STATE.MO.US
Fri Apr 20 20:24:38 UTC 2001

Chris,

You might try getting in touch with Bob Clowes, Executive Director of the
European Society for Mental Health and Deafness, at <bob at esmhd.org>.  The
current president of ESMHD is in France, Dr Alexis Karakostas, and they are
in the thick of the efforts to get national and international recognition of
signed languages.  They are, I believe, involved in France and have
experience from pursuing this in other countries.

Here in Missouri (central U.S.) the senate just failed to pass a bill which
would have recognized ASL as the language of Deaf Missourians and granted
foreign language credit for coursework.  One senator said they're no experts
but the Deaf community has not expressed a preference for any one language.

I am looking forward to finally coming to Montreal this summer for Critical
Link, a little late for the TISLR conference there... by what?  Six years?
Seven?

Ben Karlin <mfkarlb at mail.dmh.state.mo.us>
Lic. Interpreter, St. Louis Psychiatric Rehabilitation Center
The opinions expressed do not necessarily reflect those of my employer or
the Missouri Dept. of Mental Health