Sign Language of Turkey

Mark A. Mandel Mark.Mandel at LHSL.COM
Thu Dec 13 15:30:43 UTC 2001

Ulrike writes:

Note that there is a difference in Turkish between 'T ÿÿ k' and 'T ÿÿ kce'.
The latter refers to the Turkish language while the former refers to
anything 'Turkish, in/of Turkey, belonging to the Turks' (right,
Engin?). Using T ÿÿ k rather than T ÿÿ kce reflects the fact that TID is
independent from spoken Turkish, so that while it belongs to Turkey and
the Turks (T ÿÿ k), it is independent of the Turkish spoken language.
<<<<<

The characters between 'T' and 'k' are 255, hex FF; I see
     T  space  y-dieresis  y-dieresis  space  k
and
     T  space  y-dieresis  y-dieresis  space  k  c  e

I don't know what system or word processor you're using, but 8-bit
characters, formatting, and font changes are extremely platform- and
application-specific and should never be used in email. I assume that
what's meant is
     T  u-umlaut  r  k  [c e]
-- correct? I would write this as "Turkce" and add the comment "[umlaut on
the u]", as one of several Net-safe and readable possibilities. (HTML does
not count as "readable".)

-- Mark A. Mandel
       Personal home page: http://world.std.com/~mam/