Sign Language of Turkey

Asli Ozyurek aozyurek at KU.EDU.TR
Fri Dec 14 03:24:19 UTC 2001

Dear all,
 Sorry to bother you  all about  this ongoing discussion going on this list
for a long time . But what Ulrike Zeshan  has  suggested as Turk Isaret Dili
has the same ethnic and political problems since not everybody who uses  this
language in Turkey necessarily identifies  themselves as Turkish ( Turk ).
I  find the following statement

"Using T ÿÿ k rather than T ÿÿ kce reflects the fact that TID is
independent from spoken Turkish, so that while it belongs to Turkey and
the Turks (T ÿÿ k), "

as  controversial.  I think  we  have to do further sociological and
anthropological  study  to find out  about the metalinguistic  ideologies of
the  signers in Turkey and  how much they identify  their language as "Turk".
So far I  have not  seen  such  a study. Especially nowadays in Turkey, such
ethnic identity notions are highly politically charged.       Thus till there
is  a linguisitic  anthropological  study  on  this ,  I find it politically
incorrect to impose the notion "Turk"  to this  language. But of  course
each   researcher can use their own terminology for scientific/publications
purposes. Perhaps this debate is relevant for other sign languages as well.
Best regards
Asli Ozyurek, Assist. Prof.
Koc University
Istanbul, Turkey