question on notation systems

Angus B. Grieve-Smith grvsmth at UNM.EDU
Mon Feb 19 18:10:55 UTC 2001

On Mon, 19 Feb 2001, Brigitta Horvath wrote:

> thank you for your answer. I know these, too, I have compared some
> systems earlier (HamNoSys, SignFont, SignWriting, Stokoe' system, DBSL
> system...).

        Can you give us a reference on DBSL?  That's one I don't
recognize.

        I've found Stokoe to be good for jotting down quick notes, but I
used Newkirk '86 (the ASCII-only precursor to SignFont) for computational
purposes.  I haven't used it for real transcription, though.

--
                                -Angus B. Grieve-Smith
                                Linguistics Department
                                grvsmth at unm.edu