ASK vs. ASK-TO

Don & Theresa Grushkin DTGrushkin at EMAIL.MSN.COM
Tue Feb 20 21:55:40 UTC 2001

I was teaching my ASL class about inflectional signs such as ASK-TO,
TELL-TO, etc.  Several students brought up the sign ASK (two-handed version,
looks like "pray" with inward movement from neutral space towards the chest)
and asked if it was the same.  My gut feeling is that ASK is more for
requesting objects, while ASK-TO is more for requesting information or
non-tangibles.  However, how do you explain: ASK-TO MAN (r.) BOOK GIVE-TO
WOMAN (l.) ?

Is there any difference between ASK and ASK-TO, other than the inflectional
aspect of ASK-TO, which ASK doesn't have?

--Don Grushkin