AUSLAN Past/Present tense forms

Richard Arnold Rna8arnold at AOL.COM
Wed Feb 21 15:47:27 UTC 2001

I would agree with both Des and Adam that what you saw was most probably
Australian Signed English rather than AUSLAN. Like AUSLAN, New Zealand SL
uses the same DO sign but doesn't have a DID sign. NZSL uses a lexical marker
to represent tense in the same way as ASL does.

The glossed sign in NZSL FINISH is -two fists held up at neutral space, with
thumbs extended, then twisted at the wrists repeatedly. This has a similar
role to ASL's FINISH (5-hand).

There's also a perfective aspect DONE (first person only) :

O-hand is held up at shoulder height, the fingers are flicked outwards as the
hand is moved back towards the signer's chest the wrist bending until the
fingertips contact the right side of the chest. Signer usually mouths "finish"

or an alternative is:

Make the 8 handshape (ASL 8), which is held up in front of the signer, then
the middle finger and thumb are flicked outwards as the hands moves
forward/down a little. Signer usually mouths "finish"

Are these found in AUSLAN and/or BSL ??

Richard Arnold
former Compilation Editor to NZSL Dictionary
Austin, Texas