Antw: Re: Re: question on notation systems

Franz Dotter Franz.Dotter at UNI-KLU.AC.AT
Fri Feb 23 07:25:01 UTC 2001

Dear colleagues!

The posting of Corrie gives me the opportunity to ask you the following:

Many programs which are advertised as to "translate" written into sign language only perform a method of producing a signed word for every written word. Seen objectively, this is no translation at all, at the best we would get a variant of Signed Dutch or English, etc. Is that what the deaf community wants?

I ask my question because
1. the false advertisements of "translation" have a false impression of sign language in the public as  their consequence (a fact which I dislike very very much) and
2. I do not know how the sign language community looks at the problem (and woul follow the majorities direction).

By the way: The report on our Klagenfurt workshop of September 2000 ("Preparing a European Deaf network for communication and information" is now ready and can be found at (downloaded from) our homepage (heading: European projects).

Best Regards

Franz

University of Klagenfurt
Research Center for Sign Language and Communication of the Hearing Impaired
(of the Faculty for Cultural Sciences at the Department of Linguistics and Computational Linguistics)
Funded by: Bundessozialamt Kaernten, European Social Fund
Head: Franz Dotter
Collaborators: Elisabeth Bergmeister (deaf), Marlene Hilzensauer, Klaudia Krammer, Ingeborg Okorn (deaf), Reinhold Orter (deaf), Andrea Skant, Natialie Unterberger (deaf).
Homepage: http://www.uni-klu.ac.at/fzgs
Deaf server (in German): http://deaf.uni-klu.ac.at
Fax: ++43 (0)463 2700 2899

>>> "C. Tijsseling, R. van Kempen." <cor.reg at hetnet.nl> 22.02.2001  19.24 Uhr >>>
Hello Brigitte,

Well, in the project where I work we do not notate sign language. The
project is called ViSiCAST and our aim is to translate written language
automatically to sign language by use of a virtual human. Automatically
translating is an aim which cannot be reached yet, we work with
semi-automatical translating so far.
Anyway, we are going to use HamNoSys to feed the data on signs to the
computer. This work will start soon, so I have no idea of problems with this
system. We had some tries, and that worked fine. I will keep you posted!
By the way, HamNoSys can be used on PC's as well and has recently been
updated with new parameters and stuff like that.

Regards,
Corrie.