summary on notation systems

Brigitta Horvath horvathb at ALMOS.VEIN.HU
Fri Feb 23 07:30:21 UTC 2001

Hi,

I am Brigitta Horvath with the question on notation systems from last
week. Thanks for the great number of replies, they were really useful
for us.
Based on your remarks, for me it seems that most of you use a notation
systems either HamNoSys, SignFont, Stokoe's system (alonf with Mandel
Marks's ASCII system),  the sytsem presented in the Dictionary of
British Sign Language or SignWriting, or an altered one according to
special needs.

I found out that there are not serious problems with the iconic symbols
while exchanging data on the net (earlier I had thought so).
Most of you who reacted on my question were quite satisfied with the
certain system, I got especially good remarks on HamNoSys.
If any of you are more interested in the details I can offer my help as
I have done a sort of research on the topic, or may visit the following
sites:

SignWriting: www.SignWriting.org
It was developed by Valerie Sutton in the 70's and its primary aim is to
provide a tool for everyday written communication. Can be used with any
sign language. Highly iconic, the fonts can be downloaded, whole
packages can be purchased. Very popular among  deaf people but it is not
easy to invent new symbols.

Mark Mandel's system (ASCII-Stokoe for ASL):
http://world.std.com/~mam/ASL.html
This alfanumerical system is based on Stokoe's but makes it easy to
computerize our data. Useful and quite easy to learn system.

SignFont: http://members.home.net/dnewkirk/signfont/
HamNoSys:
http://www.sign-lang.uni-hamburg.de/Projekte/HamNoSys/default.html
Both HamNoSys and SignFont are highly iconic but the fonts can be
downloaded for both. They are extensible and can be used with any sign
language. There are already some software available based on these
systems (e.g. SyncWriter for HamNoSys).

SignPhon http://www.leidenuniv.nl/hil/sign-lang/signphon2.html
Database-oriented (not written, exactly) representation. (From Angus B.
Grieve-Smith)

Or you can observe the system presented in the dictionary of BSL/English
(Brien, D., Brennan, M. (1992) Dictionary of British Sign
Language/English. Faber and Faber Ltd., London).

Most of the systems are the derivates of Stokoe's system which you all
know, I believe.

I hope that no important system is left out but if so, please let me
know! I think we are able to decide on one now but I am diplomatic :)

Many thanks,

Brigitta Horvath
PhD student, University of Pécs
ass. teacher at the University of Veszprém, Dep. of. Appl. Linguistics
address: H-8200, 3, Egyetem Str., Veszprém, Hungary
Fax: 00-36-88-406-360
Tel.: 00-36-30-251-01-76
e-mail: horvathb at almos.vein.hu