Defining clause boundaries

Adam Schembri, Deaf Studies Adam.Schembri at BRISTOL.AC.UK
Sun Jan 7 16:59:22 UTC 2001

Felix,

Here's the reference:

Nespor, Marina & Sandler, Wendy. (1999). Prosody in Israeli Sign
Language. In: Language and Speech 42: 2&3. pp. 143-176

Ronnie Wilbur reviews earlier work on ASL by Grosjean and others that
investigated the relationship between clauses and pausing in her book:

Wilbur, R. (1987) American Sign Language: Linguistic and applied
dimensions. Boston: Little, Brown & Co.

Ronnie Wilbur's more recent work on prosody is also interesting:

Wilbur, Ronnie B. (1994). Eyeblinks & ASL phrase structure. In: Sign
Language Studies 23: 84. pp. 221-240

Wilbur, Ronnie B. (2000). Phonological and prosodic layering of
nonmanuals in American Sign Language. In: Emmorey, Karen & Lane, Harlan
(Eds.). The signs of language revisited : an anthology to honor Ursula
Bellugi and Edward Klima. Mahwah, NJ : Erlbaum Ass. pp. 215-244

I'm sure there's also something related to this in Liddell (1977) but
don't have a copy of his book handy right now.

Adam Schembri
Centre for Deaf Studies
University of Bristol
8 Woodland Rd