Signs for chemical terms

Mark Mandel Mark_Mandel at DRAGONSYS.COM
Fri Jul 6 17:42:15 UTC 2001

Ms. Maria Panselina (if I parse her name correctly) wrote to me today,
2001-07-06, to ask about signs for chemical terms to use in Greek Sign
Language and about the way to create such signs. (See below.) Can anyone on
this list help her? I am cc-ing this post to her at
     mitilini at ath.forthnet.gr

Ms. Panselina, this is a message to the Sign Language Linguistics email
list. You seem to be under the impression that I have created chemical
signs and posted them on a website. I suspect that whatever page you found
my address on is many years old. The only ASL web page that I have --
     http://world.std.com/~mam/ASL.html
-- describes my ASCII mapping of Stokoe notation for ASL and points to a
couple of other sign language sites.

I'm sure that there are other subscribers to this list who can answer your
questions much better than I can. I suggest in particular Galini
Sapountzaki ( Galini.Sapountzaki at bristol.ac.uk ), who has just joined the
list and is at Bristol University in England studying the linguistics of
Greek Sign Language. Good luck with your work.

Sincerely,
Mark A. Mandel

   Mark A. Mandel : Dragon Systems, a Lernout & Hauspie company
          Mark_Mandel at dragonsys.com : Senior Linguist
 320 Nevada St., Newton, MA 02460, USA : http://www.dragonsys.com

     ===================================

Hello!

i'm teaching chemistry to deaf students in a high school in athens.I'm
also doing my master in teaching chemistry the bilingual way.
In this master, i also propose a dictionary with signs related on chemical
terms.Where did you find the signs for atom,electron,proton e.tc?
Here we proposed signs based on our experience.Really , which is the method
of giving birth  to a new sign-scientifically justified-?Is there any
bibliography  that i can read?
so far i've come to a dead end finding  any bibliography on this subject.

i'd be grateful if you helped me cause  time is running

congradulations for the site and your effort
A big thanks to all of you in advance,
PANSELINA  MARIA