ASL for infants

Susan Fischer fischer at DIRECTORY.RIT.EDU
Mon Mar 19 21:17:55 UTC 2001

Richard Arnold wrote:

> In a message dated 3/18/01 9:14:37 AM Central Standard Time,
> rathmann at MAIL.UTEXAS.EDU writes:
>

>> the sign advantage can be explained by
>> the earlier development of the motor control system for the manual
>> articulators
>> compared with the development of the motor control system for the
>> vocal
>> articulators. This does not mean that the development of language is
>>
>> different in the two modalities, only that the _expression_ of the
>> language may start slightly earlier in the signed modality.
>>

> I agree. It seems to be a more physiological reason for this
> phenomena. It is
> simply the ease of use rather than linguistic ability.

[snip]

There's another explanation for the apparent disparity between the
appearance of the first spoken word and the first signed word, and that
is the eyes and the ears of the beholder.  Because of the phonological
variability in early child speech, it is often difficult for the
layperson to distinguish the commonalities that could constitute a
"word" for the child.  Signs being so much larger provide more ability
to distinguish meaning in noise.
Susan Fischer

--
Susan Fischer                                e-mail:
fischer at mail.rit.edu
NTID/RIT  HLC-2420                   phone: 1-716-475-6558 (v/TTY)
Dept. Of  Research                        fax: 1-716-475-7101
96 Lomb Memorial Drive              web: http://www.rit.edu/~sdfncr
Rochester, NY 14623-5604           (under perpetual construction!!)