ASL for infants

Adam Schembri Adam.Schembri at BRISTOL.AC.UK
Mon Mar 19 23:08:37 UTC 2001

It seems so far that there is little agreement with Petitto (1994) who
suggests that claims about the earlier appearance of signs compared to
words were based on an overinterpretation of manual babbles as first
signs. I don't have the reference handy but I'm sure Virginia Volterra
has also made this point in the literature somewhere.

I think the Newport & Meier (1990) argument about the earlier development
of the motor control system is interesting and I look forward to the
forthcoming paper that Christian mentioned, but this argument of course
rests on the assumption that we have sufficient evidence to claim that
the first signs appear before the first words - is there no-one on
SLLING-L who shares Petitto's scepticism about this? Is there any
evidence for the sign advantage in signed languages other than ASL?

Adam Schembri
Centre for Deaf Studies
University of Bristol
8 Woodland Road