query: relationships between sign languages

Dan Parvaz dparvaz at UNM.EDU
Tue Nov 27 15:22:27 UTC 2001

> France  o  USA  o  Russia

It looks like the mechanism here (and around Europe) is more language
contact (a la Dixon) than "family." There were existing SL(s?) in the US
before Clerc arrived; however the combination of gathering many deaf
kids together in Hartford -- possibly creating a Nicaragua effect --
with sustained contact with LSF.

Regarding LIU, it seems to be a part of a Sprachbund which includes
Lebanon, Syria, Saudi Arabia, Palestine, and Iraq. This is mostly based
on anecdote and with my lesser contact with those countries.

I'm waiting for the work on Afghan SL to compare with with Iranian SL
and your work on IPSL, although that comparison is mostly for my
personal enjoyment (versus publication interest). I'd love to hear your
thought on that subject.

Best,

Dan.
________
Dan Parvaz
505.480.9638
dparvaz at unm.edu

"I felt a great disturbance in the force... as if millions of voices
suddenly cried out in terror and were suddenly silenced." -Obi-Wan