query: relationships between sign languages

Richard Arnold Rna8arnold at AOL.COM
Tue Nov 27 17:48:30 UTC 2001

I can comment something about sign language use in Kenya since I visited
there. In the capital city Nairobi  ASL is wide understood and used with
forgeiners, however as our group of deaf visitors went out ot he outlying
towns the sign language we saw was more the local Kenyan variety and looked
nothing like ASL.

I do know for a fact that the President of Education Ministry in Kenya is
deaf , knows ASL quite well. So some ASL signs are most probably beginning to
spread there.

In Ghana, the sign language used is heavily influenced by (gasp..) Signed
English or SEE rather than ASL.

Hope this helps.