eye movements / eye gaze & nonmanual signals

girodmarc girodmarc at VTX.CH
Tue Oct 9 13:49:59 UTC 2001

Dear members

In a previous mail. I've asked informations on the role of eye
movements...  One of the members of the list (thanks Charlene !) asked
me for more information as she couldn't understand my request and
apparently, I did'nt use the right words ! Lets try again speaking of
eye gaze (instead of eye movements):

I'm a sign language interpreter and I'm interested in analysing eye gaze
of the deaf signer and nonmanual signals while he's producting signs.
The eye gaze has a grammatical role in sign languages for example the
difference between the 2 following sentences :"A man walked by" / " the
man walked by" is made by the eye gaze (movement & direction of eye
gaze). The eye gaze can also have other grammatical functions which I'd
like to know more about. There must be linguistic studies on the eye
gaze's role and I'd love to have references of researches and papers on
this theme.
I'm searching such informations because I'm going to teach sign
language's linguistics to a group of sign language interpreter students,
and the role of eye movements is one of the point I'm going to treat....
I'd  like to present them with some notions (like eye movements) that
traditionnally  (in oral languages) don't participate in the grammar...
and that can specifically be hard to translate. I'd also love to get
references on nonmanual signals used in sign languages

Hopefully my explanations are more clear this time and you'll understand
my english !

I'm looking foraward to reading your answer.

A-Claude Prelaz

Anne-Claude Prelaz
E-Mail: girodmarc at vtx.ch