eye movements / eye gaze & nonmanual signals

Ulrike Zeshan ulrike_zeshan at YAHOO.COM
Wed Oct 10 07:08:25 UTC 2001

Dear Anne-Claude,

here are some references that I had compiled for a course on sign
language linguistics some time ago. Hope that helps you.
Best regards,

Ulrike Zeshan

Nonmanual Aspects

Baker, Charlotte & Carol A. Padden (1978): Focusing on the Nonmanual
Components of American Sign Language. In: Siple, Patricia (ed.):
Understanding Language through Sign Language Research. Perspectives in
Neurolinguistics and Psycholinguistics (Series), 27-58. New York.

Boyes Braem, Penny and Rachel Sutton-Spence, eds. (2000): The Hand is
the Head of the Mouth: The Mouth as Articulator in Sign Languages.
Hamburg: Signum.

Coerts, Jane (1990): The Analysis of Interrogatives and Negations in
Sign Language of the Netherlands. In: Prillwitz, Siegmund & Tomas
Vollhaber (eds.): Current Trends in European Sign Language Research.
Proceedings of the 3rd European Congress on Sign Language Research,
Hamburg July 26-29, 1989. International Studies on Sign Language and
Communication of the Deaf (Vol.9), 265-277. Hamburg: Signum.

Davies, S. (1985): The tongue is quicker than the eye: Nonmanual
behaviors in ASL. In: Stokoe, William & Virginia Volterra (eds.): SLR
 j  3. Proceedings of the Third International Symposium on Sign Language
Research, Rome June 22-26, 1983. Silver Spring, MD: Linstok Press &
Rom: Istituto di psicologia CNR.

Engberg-Pedersen, Elisabeth (1990): Pragmatics of Nonmanual Behaviour
in Danish Sign Language. In: Edmondson, W.H. & F. Karlsson (eds.): SLR
 j  7. Papers from the Fourth International Symposium on Sign Language
Research. Lappeenranta, Finland, July 15-19, 1987. International
Studies on Sign Language and Communication of the Deaf (Vol.10),
121-128. Hamburg: Signum.

Liddell, Scott K. (1978): Nonmanual signals and relative clause in
American Sign Language. In: Siple, Patricia (ed.): Understanding
Language through Sign Language Research. Perspectives in
Neurolinguistics and Psycholinguistics (Series), 59-90. New York:
Academic Press.

--. (1986): Head Thrust in ASL Conditional Marking. Sign Language
Studies 52:243-262.

Pizzuto, Elena, Enza Giuranna & Giuseppe Gambino (1990): Manual and
Nonmanual Morphology in Italian Sign Language: Grammatical Constraints
and Discourse Processes. In: Lucas, Ceil (ed.): Sign Language Research:
Theoretical Issues, 83-102. Washington, DC: Gallaudet University Press.

Vogt-Svendsen, Marit (1990): Eye Gaze in Norwegian Sign Language
Interrogatives. In: Edmondson, W.H. & F. Karlsson (eds.): SLR  j  7.
Papers from the Fourth International Symposium on Sign Language
Research. Lappeenranta, Finland, July 15-19, 1987. International
Studies on Sign Language and Communication of the Deaf (Vol.10),
153-162. Hamburg: Signum.

Wallin, Lars (1987): Non-manual Anaphoric Reference in Swedish Sign
Language. Stockholm: University of Stockholm.

--- girodmarc <girodmarc at VTX.CH> wrote:
> Dear members
>
> In a previous mail. I've asked informations on the role of eye
> movements...  One of the members of the list (thanks Charlene !)
> asked
> me for more information as she couldn't understand my request and
> apparently, I did'nt use the right words ! Lets try again speaking of
> eye gaze (instead of eye movements):
>
> I'm a sign language interpreter and I'm interested in analysing eye
> gaze
> of the deaf signer and nonmanual signals while he's producting signs.
> The eye gaze has a grammatical role in sign languages for example the
> difference between the 2 following sentences :"A man walked by" / "
> the
> man walked by" is made by the eye gaze (movement & direction of eye
> gaze). The eye gaze can also have other grammatical functions which
> I'd
> like to know more about. There must be linguistic studies on the eye
> gaze's role and I'd love to have references of researches and papers
> on
> this theme.
> I'm searching such informations because I'm going to teach sign
> language's linguistics to a group of sign language interpreter
> students,
> and the role of eye movements is one of the point I'm going to
> treat....
> I'd  like to present them with some notions (like eye movements) that
> traditionnally  (in oral languages) don't participate in the
> grammar...
> and that can specifically be hard to translate. I'd also love to get
> references on nonmanual signals used in sign languages
>
> Hopefully my explanations are more clear this time and you'll
> understand
> my english !
>
> I'm looking foraward to reading your answer.
>

> A-Claude Prelaz
>

> Anne-Claude Prelaz
> E-Mail: girodmarc at vtx.ch

=====
Dr. Ulrike Zeshan
Research Centre for Linguistic Typology
Institute for Advanced Study
La Trobe University VIC 3086, Australia
ph.: +61-3-94673084, fax: +61-3-94673053
e-mail: u.zeshan at latrobe.edu.au, ulrike_zeshan at yahoo.com