Words/signs deriving from the same stem

Nicole Kuplenik nicole.kuplenik at GUEST.ARNES.SI
Mon Apr 1 10:53:17 UTC 2002

Thanks for your comments,

it has really come in very handy. I agree, SL stems have to be taken
separately from translations into spoken language. I haven't done any
research work regarding this (I'm a Slovene teacher at a school for the
deaf), but I have been following some research being conducted lately and I
think most of it as been done on the base of spoken language (translated
into SL). Also, the analisys of SL has been done by (grammatical and
syntactical) criteria for spoken languages, which I think is not correct.

I would like to ask you some questions regarding the structure of Greek SL
dictionaries: how the meanings of signs are translated. Actually, I'm
interested in how the derivational classes are assessed.
I have only checked the ASL dictionary (Elaine Costello, Random House) and
British SL dictionary (British Deaf Association). In the first one, main
sign translations are mostly one deriv. class (noun, adjective), though,
additional meanings - additional deriv. classes are written. In the second
one, signs with stem-meaning are not denotated as any class, but all
meanings of the gloss are listed. In the dictionary of Slovene SL,
derivational classes are not defined, although, most translations appear as
only one derivational class (e.g. CALCULUS without CALCULATE, although the
sign has the nominal as well as verbal meaning).

Best,
Nicole Kuplenik