Non-dominant, one-handed signing

Bencie Woll b.woll at CITY.AC.UK
Wed Feb 27 21:56:17 UTC 2002

To add my pennyworth, what is crucial in onehanded versions of the BSL
(and related) manual alphabet is rotation of the wrist, as much as the
contact point. Although rarely represented on alphabet charts, when the
dominant hand articulates .a., the palm is facing down; for .u., the hand is
rotated so that the palm faces leftwards (for right handed signers). This
feature is preserved and sometimes exaggerated in one-handed versions
and makes identification of vowels relatively easy.

Bencie Woll

Professor Bencie Woll
Chair of Sign Language and Deaf Studies
City University