classifier discussion

Karen Emmorey emmorey at LCN.SALK.EDU
Mon Jul 8 17:14:54 UTC 2002

The reference for the Classifier Workshop volume is:

Emmorey, K. (in press). Perspectives on Classifier Constructions in
Sign Languages.  Mahwah, NJ:  Lawrence Erlbaum Associates.

The contents of the volume are as follows:

Preface

I The Syntax and Morphology of Classifiers in Sign Languages

1 Rethinking "classifiers" in signed languages
Adam Schembri

2  Noun and verbal classifiers in Swedish Sign Language
Brita Bergman and Lars Wallin

3 Classifier Complexes and Morphology in Two Sign Languages
Mark Aronoff, Irit Meir, Carol Padden, and Wendy Sandler

Commentary:

4 Classifiers in Spoken and in Signed Languages:  How to Know More
Alexandra Aikhenvald

5 Classifier Systems in the Context of a Typology of Nominal Classification
Colette Grinevald

II Cross-Linguistic Variation in Classifier Constructions and Spatial Language

6 'Classificatory' Constructions in Indo-Pakistani Sign Language:
Grammaticalization and Lexicalization Processes
Ulrike Zeshan

7 Verbs of Motion and Location in Hong Kong Sign Language:
Conflation and Lexicalization
Gladys Tang

Commentary:

8 The representation of spatial structure in spoken and signed language
Leonard Talmy

III Classifier Constructions and Gesture

9  Sources of Meaning in ASL Classifier Predicates
Scott Liddell

10 Categorical Versus Gradient Properties of Classifier Constructions in ASL
Karen Emmorey and Melissa Herzig

Commentary:

11 Revisiting Visual Analogy in ASL Classifier Predicates
Ted Supalla

12 Gesture in Language:  Issues for Sign Language Research
Susan Duncan

IV The Acquisition of Classifier Constructions

13  A Cognitive/Functional Perspective on the Acquisition of "classifiers"
Dan I. Slobin, Nini Hoiting, Marlon Kuntze, Reyna Lindert, Amy
Weinberg, Jennie Pyers, Michelle Anthony, Yael Biederman, and Helen
Thumann

14 The development of reference switching encoded through body
classifiers in British Sign Language
Gary Morgan and Bencie Woll

15 How Composite is a Fall?  Adults' and Children's Descriptions of
Different Types of Falls in Danish Sign Language
Elixabeth Engberg-Pedersen

***************

We are now at the proof stage of production, and I hope that the book
will be on the shelves by the end of the year.

Best,

Karen Emmorey

--
Karen Emmorey, Ph.D.