Jobs/Expressions of interest: sign language research group

Ulrike Zeshan u.zeshan at LATROBE.EDU.AU
Mon Jun 17 06:29:57 UTC 2002

Early expressions of interest are invited for joining a sign language
typology research group. The project ŒSign Language Typology ­
Cross-linguistic Studies of Sign Languages¹ is funded by the German Science
Foundation (DFG). Its second phase, which involves the creation of a
research group headed by myself, is due to start in September 2003 and will
run for three years in cooperation between the Department of Linguistics at
the University of Cologne and the Max Planck Institute for Psycholinguistics
in Nijmegen. Formal applications for positions available within the project
will be called at a later stage. This is to elicit early expressions of
interest from people who would potentially like to be associated with the
project in one way or another, to facilitate planning for the second phase
of the project.

The project is a continuation and expansion of my cross-linguistic work on
interrogatives and negatives in 40 sign languages, and my fieldwork on
several undocumented sign languages in oriental countries, which some of you
may have heard about. With the creation of the research group, we will
systematically expand this line of research to include as many sign
languages as possible. We will also work towards creating academic,
linguistic and educational resources for the deaf communities involved,
similarly to a sign language project that I have been directing in India.
Apart from the academic benefit, it is a major aim of the DFG project to
train people and develop materials in order to get sign language research
started in countries where there has been little or no work on the local
sign language. This aspect of the project will particularly focus on
developing countries.

There will be three focus areas of interest:
1. Documentation of undescribed or underdescribed sign languages, with the
aim of creating linguistic and educational resources for the deaf
communities involved.
2. Another large-scale cross-linguistic study, on possession and
existentials in sign languages. In addition, smaller comparative studies
according to individual researchers¹ interests are possible.
3. Linguistic investigation of village sign languages (like Kata Kolok in
Bali, Adamorobe Sign Language in Ghana).

Several categories of positions will become available eventually. Candidates
from developing countries will particularly be considered for positions
a)-c), while candidates from other countries are encouraged to consider
option d) first. The positions include:
a) Sign Language Informants. This will allow (preferably) deaf signers to
visit the project for up to six months. An academic qualification is
helpful, but not necessary. Sign language informants will provide data on
their sign language and participate in linguistic experiments. They will go
through a basic training program in sign language linguistics.
b) PhD Students. PhD positions will cover a period from one year to three
years, renewable yearly. The topic of the dissertation must fit into the
wider framework of the DFG project. The DFG usually employs PhD students on
a part-time basis (50%) in such projects, unless otherwise agreed.
c) Post-Doctoral Researchers. A limited number of post-docs can be approved
as full-time positions. These will be available for a period from one year
to three years, renewable yearly. Post-docs must have a strong research
record in one of the three focus areas (descriptive documentation of sign
languages, cross-linguistic sign language research, research on a village
sign language).
d) In addition to these positions, I would like to encourage people to
consider becoming involved with the project as academic visitors. Visitors
will be able to participate in our research infrastructure and the
intellectual environment of the project and will be full members of the
research group for the duration of their stay. This category is suitable for
PhD students and post-docs whose work is being financed from other sources,
and for people on sabbatical or shorter periods of leave from their
positions. Visitors¹ research must tie in with the general aims of the
project, not necessarily with one of the focus areas.

If you are interested in becoming involved with the project, please complete
the feedback form below and e-mail it back to u.zeshan at latrobe.edu.au.
PLEASE DO NOT RESPOND TO THE LIST ADDRESS. I repeat that this is not a final
selection process. If you have any queries at all, or need more information
about the project, please do not hesitate to ask. Please feel free to
forward and distribute this message to anyone else who you think might be
interested in the project. Thank you very much for your interest. I am
looking forward to your response.

Best regards,

Ulrike Zeshan

Feedback form: Sign language typology project (Please tick on the line or
insert text)

Your current status:
__  Student (below PhD level)
__  PhD student
__  Post-doctoral researcher
__ Professor
__ Non-academic
__ Other (specify:_________________________)

Category you are interested in:
__  Sign language informant (a)
__ PhD student (b)
__ Post-doctoral researcher (c)
__ Academic visitor (d)

Indicate approximate time between September 2003 and August 2006 when you
would consider being involved with the project (you may mention more than
one period of time/more than one option):

Indicate where you would prefer to be located during this time:
__  University of Cologne, Department of Linguistics
__ Max Planck Institute for Psycholinguistics, Nijmegen

Briefly state your current work or research interests and how you think they
would tie in with the project:

Questions about the project or request for more information (specify):