speed of movement in signs

Susan Fischer fischer at MAIL.RIT.EDU
Sun Jun 23 02:33:17 UTC 2002

Rain,
I think I disagree with your premise that speed is not phonologically
contrastive in ASL.  there is at least one minimal pair, ARRIVE and
PROVE that differ only in acceleration and/or speed.  The bounce-back in
PROVE is, I believe, a concomitant of the speed.
Susan fischer

--
Susan Fischer                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                           e-mail: fischer at mail.rit.edu
NTID/RIT        HLC-2420                                                                                                                                                 phone: 1-585-475-6558 (v/TTY)