q's about existentials in SLs

James MacFarlane jmacfarl at UNM.EDU
Sun Nov 3 15:28:05 UTC 2002

Hello Engin,

I wrote my MA thesis on "The Grammaticization of Predicative Possession and
Existentials in American Sign Language".  This work traces the development
of the ASL verb HAVE from physical possession, to inalienable possession, to
inanimate possession, to the existential.  I doubt that it is available
anywhere except from the Univ. of New Mexico Library.  I've been meaning to
re-work it for publication elsewhere.  Also, I believe that Ronnie Wilbur is
currently working on Possession but I don't know if she is working on
existentials as well.  I think it is worth contacting her, however.

--
James MacFarlane
University of New Mexico