q's about existentials in SLs

Theresa Smith tbsmith at ESKIMO.COM
Sun Nov 3 17:02:51 UTC 2002

Hello all,

Responding (perhaps rashly) as a non-linguist but thoughtful user, interpreter,
teacher of ASL I would support the thesis of the sign "have" being used to at
least function in ways similar to "exist" as in the phrase "[index] have
program.".  The meaning is clearly not that "That school has a program." but
rather that "A program exists there."

Theresa

Theresa B. Smith, Ph.D. Director ASLIS