A question for speakers/writers of Japanese and Chinese

Mark A Mandel mam at THEWORLD.COM
Fri Oct 11 18:56:14 UTC 2002

        [Mike Morgan]
#>#             Numbers are written either in kanji or
#>#in romaji ('Roman' letters, not to be confused with our Roman numerals).

        [Mark Mandel -- just initials won't do here!]
#>Surely you don't mean the letter string, e.g., 'three'!! Are you talking
#>about Hindu-Arabic numerals (which we usually call "Arabic" in English),
#>the digits 0 through 9? I wouldn't be surprised if those are comprised
#>in the definition of "romaji", but then romaji is a superset of the
#>Roman alphabet.

        [Susan Fischer]
#No: there are special kanji for numbers. For example, 61 would be
#$BO;==0l (B (if you set your character coding to Japanese)

I'm not clear on what/whom your "no" is addressed to. Would you expand
your comment a little?

-- Mark M.