Foreign Language requirement revisited

Barbara O'Dea odeab at UNM.EDU
Tue Apr 22 21:39:20 UTC 2003

Here are a couple of ideas. If you don't like them; just press "delete". I
won't take it personally.

1. I'm a hearing person and when I try to learn another spoken language I
cannot produce that new language at the same time I am producing my first
language. This is not the case for hearing people learning a signed
language. I think there is a much greater potential for making a sign and
simultaneously producing an English equivalent with our inner voice. This
is probably (I have no data to support this) detrimental to new ASL
learners.

2. There are so many misconceptions about signed languages that people
often begin courses expecting to learn a lot of signs to
correspond to English words. Before they are open to actually learning a
language like ASL, they must let go of this misconception.

3. ASL does not have a conventionally accepted written form. Students are
often prepared to do written homework and this helps them with learning a
second spoken language. They do not have this for signed languages.

4. Students cannot go to movies, view video-tapes, or visit areas of a
city to get access to those who use ASL - something which can be done with
many spoken langauges.

5. Hearing people take quite a long time recognizing cultural differences
between Deaf people and hearing people; and even with lots of exposure to
ASL, many never "get it". Courses often teach the more superficial aspects
of the culture; but a real understanding of cultural differences are much
more subtle and are generally recognized through interaction with more
than one or two instructors in a classroom setting.

I hope these are helpful ideas. odeeodee