Q: field methods human subjects

Carol Padden cpadden at UCSD.EDU
Wed Aug 20 19:09:30 UTC 2003

Chris --

I believe the LSA has a statement on use of language consultants. In some
cases, the consultants become co-authors of the work, and want their
name and image to be associated with the work, so the protection of
confidentiality is waived. I used to serve on the IRB here at UCSD
and know that the issues of working with language
consultants does not neatly overlap with those of working with
subjects in experimental protocols.  Sometimes there are issues of
confidentiality and protection of language data, and sometimes not.

Carol

Carol A. Padden, Professor
Department of Communication, Mail Code 0503
University of California, San Diego
9500 Gilman Drive
La Jolla, CA 92093-0503