Is Sign Language a Language?

Geoffrey Hunt geoffrey_hunt at SIL.ORG
Sat May 3 21:54:59 UTC 2003

For any substantive argument on usage of the two alternatives I would have to
defer to others.  You may be right in what you say in your second paragraph, I
just do not know.  Personally, I prefer 'signed language' as it parallels more
clearly with 'spoken language' ('sign language' would parallel 'speech
language').

Geoffrey

-----Original Message-----
From: For the discussion of linguistics and signed languages.
[mailto:SLLING-L at ADMIN.HUMBERC.ON.CA]On Behalf Of Philocophus
Sent: Saturday, May 03, 2003 12:24 PM
To: SLLING-L at ADMIN.HUMBERC.ON.CA
Subject: Re: Is Sign Language a Language?

I thank you for your response, but have one small query. Is there a difference
between the terms "sign language" and "signed language" which you use? If so,
what is the difference from a linguist's persective?

I thought "signed language" referd to something like "signed English" whereas
"sign language" refers to the sign language as used by the Deaf. Imay be wrong.

Raymond Lee