Caswell's screed

Grushkin, Donald A. grushkind at CSUS.EDU
Sun May 11 15:27:22 UTC 2003

You know, it's ironic that Caswell dismisses out of hand any research done
by a hearing person as having an etic perspective, when she is Hearing
herself and has such an etic perspective that after reading her comments we
need an emETIC! ;-)

I am fully aware of Caswell's tendency to misinterpret or distort facts
(we've faced off in Deaf Life before).  She uses semiotics to "debunk"
signed languages as languages.  My understanding (please correct me if I'm
wrong, since admittedly I have almost no knowledge of this field) is that
semiotics is the study of how concepts or meaning are mentally represented.
If this is the case, I fail to see how this can be used to invalidate signed
languages (but of course, in her twisted world, anything is possible...)

I also was wondering about that stuff about double articulation languages.
Is any of that real?  is there really a concept of single and double
articulation?  And does it apply to what she said about signed languages?

--Don Grushkin