Caswell's screed

Mark A Mandel mam at THEWORLD.COM
Mon May 12 01:36:21 UTC 2003

On Sun, 11 May 2003, Grushkin, Donald A. wrote:

#I also was wondering about that stuff about double articulation
#languages. Is any of that real?  is there really a concept of single
#and double articulation?  And does it apply to what she said about
#signed languages?

I hadn't the stomach or the time to go through her... output... but I
recognize this terminology. I think it goes all the way back to
Saussure. "Double articulation" here refers to the separation between
symbol and meaning: two distinct "layers". I'm not surprised if C. is
saying that SLs are only singly articulated. It's nonsense, of course,
but it's consistent with what I did see of her material.

I don't think any linguists have ever referred to "single articulation
languages", since that contradicts the concept of language as defined by
(as I said: IIRC) Saussure.

-- Mark A. Mandel