Caswell's screed

Adam Schembri Adam.Schembri at RIDBC.ORG.AU
Mon May 12 02:27:07 UTC 2003

The term 'double articulation' actually comes from the work of the French
linguist Andre Martinet, and it can be found in some introductory books on
linguistics (see, for example, Jean Aitchison's 'Teach Yourself
Linguistics'), but a more common term for this concept is perhaps 'duality
of patterning'. This is regularly included as a 'defining' feature of
language in introductory linguistics books.

Although 'lexicalised' signs from the 'core native lexicon' of languages
like ASL and Auslan can be analysed as having duality of patterning, whether
or not all aspects of signed language organization show this duality IS
actually a matter of debate, so we ought not to dismiss this issue out of
hand. See Liddell (2000) on the use of space in directional verb signs, or
Cogill (2000) on aspects of 'classifier' verbs of motion.

Liddell, S. K. (2000a). Indicating verbs and pronouns: Pointing away from
agreement. In K. Emmorey & H. Lane (Eds.), The signs of language revisited:
An anthology to honor Ursula Bellugi and Edward Klima (pp. 303-320). Mahwah,
NJ: Lawrence Erlbaum Associates.

Cogill-Koez, D. (2000). "Signed language classifier predicates: linguistic
structures or schematic visual representation?" Sign Language and
Linguistics 3(2): 153-207.

Adam Schembri, PhD
Postdoctoral Research Fellow
Renwick College
University of Newcastle/
Royal Institute for Deaf and Blind Children
Private Bag 29
Parramatta NSW 2124
AUSTRALIA
Tel (voice/TTY): +(61 2) 9872 0281