What are you teaching in your "sign linguistics" course?

Scott Liddell scott.liddell at GALLAUDET.EDU
Wed Nov 5 23:50:42 UTC 2003

Dear Daisuke,
Here is a little different slant on this issue.  The Department of
Linguistics at Gallaudet University (http://linguistics.gallaudet.edu/)
offers both M.A. and Ph.D. degrees in linguistics.  Our department has
a heavy focus on sign language structure.  We have the luxury, for
example, of being able to devote an entire course to ASL Morphology,
etc.   For years we have had an undergraduate overview of ASL structure
course.  A few years ago we developed another course for undergraduates
that addresses an issue not so far discussed in response to your
question -- helping students see a difference between a sign language,
codes used to represent a spoken language, and signs used as part of
simultaneous communication.  This is a very tough issue for students to
get a hold of and requires discussing issues of grammar and structure
in helping to distinguish between language, code, and the signed
portion of Simultaneous Communication.
I hope this helps.
Scott Liddell