sign language parsing

Angus B. Grieve-Smith grvsmth at UNM.EDU
Tue Nov 11 15:23:44 UTC 2003

On Mon, 10 Nov 2003, G Sapountzaki wrote:

> in this case it was entirely my mistake of using english and I have to
> apologise sincerely. Could also be the time of the night I replied, it
> was embarrasing to misunderstand you in this way.

        Don't worry about it!  I only know five or six words of Greek, and
no Greek Sign Language, so it would have been much worse if we had been
trying to communicate in either of those!

> Using greek will only be part of the teaching process at the end, when
> the sign database will be 'completed'. The part I am working in is
> synthesis and indeed there is no use of greek but only notation symbols
> to store and synthesise them.

        I'm relieved about that.  I still have a few questions, to make
sure I understand your project:

- So the Greek would be used in human translations of the Greek Sign
Language phrases, and in grammatical discussions, both written on the
CD-ROM materials and in lessons developed by the teachers, in order to
teach Greek Sign Language to hearing children?

- What was it that you meant by "parsing," then?

- Which written representation are you using?

                                        -Angus B. Grieve-Smith
                                        Linguistics Department
                                        University of New Mexico
                                        grvsmth at unm.edu