sign language parsing

Dan Parvaz dparvaz at UNM.EDU
Fri Oct 31 13:21:00 UTC 2003

> I would be interested to contact any members of SLLING-L with any
> experience of parsing a signed language into written text and vice
> versa.

Are you referring to simply parsing a signed language, or are you
talking about Machine Translation (in which syntactic parsing is often
a step)? And what do you mean by "written text?" What is the original
form which would be "parsed?" HamNoSys? Papaspyrou's orthography? A
video signal? Glosses? And what kinds of input are required for the
signing avatar? How much of the phonological/phonotactics (kinematics,
etc.) need to be pre-processed?

I have other questions, but this is a good kick-off point. I suspect
there are a few of us here who can handle one or more of those pieces

Cheers,

Dan.