/3now1#/

Dan Parvaz dparvaz at MAC.COM
Tue Feb 3 20:47:27 UTC 2004

> Hello.  I am reading Stokoe 1960, "Sign Language Structure", after a
> long time, and I am wondering what /3now1#/ stands for.

I'm just guessing here, but based on Stokoe's writings, it is looks some
kind of phonetic/phonological form of the spoken English word <know>, with
the '#' being a word boundary; the numbers are possibly some sort of
relative pitch (?). For fans of the ARPAbet -- and you know who you are --
it looks a little familiar: [n ow].

Anyway, that's my guess, and I'm sticking to it until another contender
comes along. ^_^

-Dan.