critiques of speech as nonphysical

Christian Nelson cnelson at COMM.UMASS.EDU
Mon Mar 15 16:16:34 UTC 2004

Hi folks:
I'm not a sign language scholar, so please bear with this naive request.
I'd appreciate it if someone could send me the bib. info. for what is
considered the most prominent exposition and critique of the notion that
speech is somehow "nonphysical." This would include any work that more
specifically argues that speech is another form of gesture. At present,
the following is the only article I've been able to come up with by
googling the net, and I have no idea what it's status is in the eyes of
those in the know:
L ô˜ qvist, A. (1990). Speech as audible gestures. In W. J. Hardcastle &
A. Marchal (Eds.), Speech Production and Speech Modelling. Kluwer
Academic Press, Dordrecht, Netherlands, 289-322.
Thanks for any help with this.
Sincerely,
Christian Nelson