critiques of speech as nonphysical

Karen Emmorey emmorey at SALK.EDU
Mon Mar 15 17:02:02 UTC 2004

The treatment of speech as gesture is most prominent in the theory of
articulatory phonology.  You should look for papers by Louis
Goldstein, Cathy Browman, Carol Fowler, and their colleagues.  Here
are a couple of older references:

Browman. C.P., & Goldstein, L. (1991).  Gestural structures:
Distinctiveness, phonological processes, and historical change.  In
I.G. Mattingly & M. Studdert-Kennedy (Eds).  Modularity and the motor
theory of speech perception.  pp. 313-338, Hilldale, NJ:  LEA.

Browman, C.P. & Goldstein, L. (1992).  Articulatory phonology:  an
overview.  Phonetica, 49, 155-180.

Karen Emmorey