nondominant handshapes

Ingvild Roald ingvild.roald at STATPED.NO
Mon Mar 22 16:22:13 UTC 2004

HI!

I'm not a linguist, and the signs I will tell about are for the most part
not signs firmly settled in the Norwegian SL, but they are in use:
they are signs regarding the inner structure of the atom, starting with
the sign for ION, which is almos-symmetrical, and is a 'Nordic' sign:
non-dominat and dominat both in I-shape, dominat I circling the
non-dominant I.
>From this sign the others are derived:
ATOM is A circling I
Electron is E circling I
ELECTRON-SHELL is a claw around the I
EXITATION (of atom or molecule) is E lifted from near I to further up
DE-EXITATION is the E moving from further up to down closer to the I.

You can read about these in an article on the SignWriting site, under
'lingustics'. The article is called 'Terminology in the making'

Ingvild Roald, Norway

"For the discussion of linguistics and signed languages."
<SLLING-L at ADMIN.HUMBERC.ON.CA> skriver: