nondominant handshapes

Wed Mar 24 19:48:04 UTC 2004

Oops; I.R. had already answered my question.

So it seems to me that in these cases, as with ASL CHOOSE, the
morphology of the base hand is transparent even if not productive. If
that is so, I would expect the exceptional base handshape to be more
stable than it would be otherwise. For example, marked base handshapes
that are alphabetic components in initialized signs should tend to
change to less-marked handshapes more than this L and V would.

-- Mark A. Mandel