Q re: use of ASL and ASL-based SLs worldwide

Mike Morgan Mike.Morgan at MB3.SEIKYOU.NE.JP
Mon May 24 15:58:14 UTC 2004

I have a question (actually a series of related questions) concerning the
use of ASL worldwide (i.e. outside of North America).

1) To what extent is ASL used as a language of communication within Deaf
communities worldwide?

The Ethnologue (http://www.ethnologue.com/show_language.asp?code=ASE) says
that ASL is "[a]lso used in varying degrees in Canada, Philippines, Ghana,
Nigeria, Chad, Burkina Faso, Gabon, Democratic Republic of Congo, Central
African Republic, C ­² e d'Ivoire, Mauritania, Kenya, Madagascar, Benin, Togo,
Zimbabwe, Singapore, China (Hong Kong). Also spoken in Canada, Guatemala."
(Note, Canada gets two mentions ... :-) Though it is relegated to the "used
in varying degrees" category (??!!). Perhaps in Quebec... So, counting only
one mention of Canada (and the US which is understood in the above quote),
that makes AT LEAST 20 countries where ASL is used (actually more; see the
next paragraph re: Malaysia... and possibly others?).

In each of the above cases, how close is the ASL used in agiven country to
(standard) ASL as used in North America? In the case of Singapore, for
example, we are lead to believe (http://www.dpa.org.sg/signlang/) that a
version of Signed English is used. In the case of Malaysia (which doesn't
make the Ethnologue list for some reason), a quick random check of 50 or so
signs found on the on-line dictionary
(http://www.geocities.com/mysignlanguage/) seems to indicate that we are
dealing with ASL here too (or, since there is no indication of grammar,
perhaps as with Singapore, Signed English). On the other hand, in the case
of, for example, Bolivian SL differences are significant enough to perhaps
justify classifying it as an ASL-based SL rather than as ASL per se. (See
question 2)

Also in each of these cases, is ASL the ONLY SL used by the Deaf community?
In Canada, for instance, at least regionally we have the distinct LSQ
(though within any given Deaf community perhaps only either LSQ or ASL). For
Guatemala the Ethnologue says that "[t]here may be other sign languages
besides ASL" (though we don't know if this "other sign language" is used by
individual Deaf people IN ADDITION to ASL, or if the distribution of the SLs
is complemetary (e.g. regional/local). Also, from the limitted Deaf contacts
I've had from the Philippines, there appears to be an indiginous SL used by
the Deaf community there in addition to ASL; the Ethnologue
(http://www.ethnologue.com/show_language.asp?code=PSP) confirms this, saying
that Philippine Sign Language (aka Local Sign Language, Filipino Sign
Language, FSL) is "[r]eported to be very similar to ASL" (for "very similar"
should we read "very similar, but still distinct?"). Again, my question
would be what is the distribution pattern between the two SLs: do (all) Deaf
people know BOTH SLs, and if so when do they use which one (and in
particular, when do they use ASL)? (Perhaps Mori Soya has more information
on the situation in the Philippines... Soya, you listening?)

2) If in question 1 we are talking about ASL per se in each case, then the
next question is, how many more ASL-based SLs are there?

For example, Bolivian SL, which is not on the Ethnologue list, is clearly
ASL-based. It is in fact close enough that it MIGHT qualify as a dialect of
ASL rather than a separate language (and thus fit under question 1), at
least if your criterion is linguistic (mutual comprehension) rather than
SOCIOlinguistic. (For example, I had no problem communicating extensively
with Deaf people I met in Cochabamba (Qhochapampa) from the moment I met
them; certainly no more than I had talking to my friend's mom who went to
Deaf school in Philadelphia.) Differences are restricted almost entirely to
lexcion, and even here the  differences (largely in the area of initialized
signs based on Spanish rather than English) are not great.

3) Finally, to what extent is ASl used/known as a foreign language in
various countries and regions?

For example, ASL is possibly the most widely known foreign SL here in Japan
(though International SL is a close second), but the numbers of Deaf people
we are speaking of with any REAL command of ASL is miniscule (though
granted, percentage-wise probably far greater than the numbers of Deaf
(US)Americans who know a SL other than ASL -- we (US) Americans ARE a
language-illiterate bunch!) On the other hand, significant numbers of Thai
Deaf people in Bangkok (both those at the Deaf Association and just your
average Deaf street vendor) have a remarkably fluent command of ASL (so much
so that it was difficult on several occasions to elicit real Thai SL signs).
(This appears to be restricted to the Thai capital; experiences in
Chiang-Mai in the north indicate that few Deaf people there know ASL.)

What about the situation elsewhere in the world? In Europe, for instance? Or
elsewhere in Asia?

Perhaps it would be most appropriate for individuals to reply to me
personally, off-list, and then when I get enough responses I can summarize
and inform the list as a whole.

Thanks in advance for any and all information on this topic.

Mike Morgan
Kobe City University of Foreign Studies
Kobe, Japan
Mike.Morgan at mb3.seikyou.ne.jp