sign language typology - project announcement

Susan Fischer fischer at MAIL.RIT.EDU
Thu May 27 14:10:08 UTC 2004

Ulrike,
Have you made up the questionnaire?  I'd like to see it before
committing.
Susan
On May 24, 2004, at 1:28 AM, Ulrike Zeshan wrote:

> NEW SIGN LANGUAGE TYPOLOGY PROJECT  o  CALL FOR PARTICIPATION
>
> Dear list members,
>
> After the successful completion of the first large cross-linguistic
> study on negative and interrogative constructions in sign languages,
> this message is to announce the beginning of another project in sign
> language typology, which will focus on possessive constructions.
>
> The cross-linguistic research project on negative and interrogative
> constructions coordinated research with 18 individuals or groups of
> participants from all continents around the world. An edited volume
> with
> contributions from 11 countries/regions has just been submitted for
> publication. The new project will be organized similarly to the first
> one. For further information about the first project, see these
> references:
>
> Zeshan, Ulrike (2004a): Hand, Head and Face  o  Negative Constructions
> in
> Sign Languages. Linguistic Typology 8:1, 1-57.
> Zeshan, Ulrike (2004b): Interrogative constructions in sign languages
> ™ë ross-linguistic perspectives. Language 80.1, 7-39.
>
> The project on possession will ask questions such as the following:
> - What are the main ways of expressing predicative possession ( œ² o
> have m   in sign languages?
> - How is the difference between alienable and inalienable possession
> realized in sign languages?
> - Are there any spatial mechanisms to express possession in sign
> languages?
> - How do paradigms of personal pronouns and possessive pronouns compare
> to each other in sign languages?
> - How do the sign language data relate to data on possession from
> spoken
> languages?
>
> I invite groups and individuals who are interested in participating in
> this project to contact me asap for more information (contact
> information below). The project will be coordinated at the
> Max-Planck-Institute for Psycholinguistics in Nijmegen, The
> Netherlands.
> It is not necessary to have a professional background in sign language
> linguistics in order to participate in the project. Please feel free to
> distribute this message to other people who might be interested in
> contributing to this project.
>
> Regards,
>
> Ulrike Zeshan

> Dr. Ulrike Zeshan
> Sign Language Typology Research Group
> Max-Planck-Institute for Psycholinguistics
> Post address:                   Visiting address:
> Postbus 310                     Wundtlaan 1
> 6500 AH Nijmegen          6525 XD Nijmegen
> The Netherlands               The Netherlands
> Phone:  (+31) (0)24 - 3521476
> Fax:   (+31) (0)24 - 3521213
> E-mail:  Ulrike.Zeshan at mpi.nl
>               Ulrike_Zeshan at yahoo.com

Susan D. Fischer                                Contact info:
Dept. of Research                               Phone: 585-475-6558
NTID/RIT                                                Fax:  585-475-7101
96 Lomb Memorial Drive                  email: fischer at mail.rit.edu
Rochester, NY 14623-5604                        Web: http://www.rit.edu/~sdfncr