ISO 639-3 code for International Sign Language--a good idea? How to proceed?

GerardM gerard.meijssen at gmail.com
Fri Nov 2 08:31:49 UTC 2007

Hoi,
It happens that I have a keen interest in the ISO-639 process and its
different versions.

When there are more clearly identifiable sign languages not recognised in
the standard, it is possible to get recognition for all of them. When there
is a consensus of what makes "International Sign", or at least when people
recognise it as such even when it has different dialects and / or
interpretations it is possible to gain recognition for it. In my opinion, it
makes best sense when there are people who are championing it, who are an
ambassador for this language. When these ambassadors for International Sign
also champions the use of SignWriting, it will encourage the unification of
this language and it will promote the use of SignWriting in other sign
languages.

With Signundo having an active community, it can have its own language code
as well. When Gestuno has no active community, it is unlikely that there is
an immediate need for an ISO 639 code for it.\

Thanks,
     Gerard