ISO 639-3 code for International Sign Language--a good idea? How to proceed?

Valerie Sutton sutton at signwriting.org
Fri Nov 2 14:16:38 UTC 2007

Does Esperanto have a code? If it does, then these International
signing systems could have a unique code too. Each International
signing system should have its own unique code...to lump them all
together into one code representing "all International signing"
doesn't make sense to me, because the codes are used to refer to a
specific language, and the World Federation of the Deaf's
International signing system is not the same as Signuno, for example...

So it is a matter of pinning down what systems are current today and
assigning different language codes to each one...

Val ;-)

Valerie Sutton
Sutton at SignWriting.org