ISO 639-3 code for International Sign Language--a good idea? How to proceed?

Bencie Woll b.woll at ucl.ac.uk
Fri Nov 2 21:22:27 UTC 2007

I would echo Ulrike's comments - I  think there is no single
International Sign
- there is some degree of agreement among European signers using
cross-linguistic communication, but this is very different from what
may happen
outside Europe, ,and there is only a limited amount of
conventionalisation (see
Rachel Rosenstock's PhD thesis for the most recent study of this topic)

Bencie Woll

Quoting Ulrike Zeshan <uzeshan at uclan.ac.uk>:

> I know that the World Federation of the Deaf recently did a survey
> among some linguists compiling views about the linguistic status of
> International Sign, so maybe someone can respond who has access to
> the results?
> To me, International Sign is a pidgin, which has a
> semi-conventionalised status - less conventionalised than national
> sign languages typically are, but, to me, enough so that I would call
> it a language. It is certainly not something artificial, but has
> developed naturally in cross-sign interactions over time. This use of
> International Sign is, however, different from improvised ad hoc
> communication that may happen between any two individuals who do not
> have a sign language in common and try to communicate across
> linguistic boundaries in the signed medium.
> I have never heard of Signuno, did you mean to say that this is
> something devised artificially, in parallel with Esperanto?
> Ulrike
>

> Prof. Ulrike Zeshan
> Director, International Centre for Sign Languages and Deaf Studies
> Faculty of Arts, Humanities and Social Sciences
> Livesey House, LH212
> University of Central Lancashire
> Preston PR12HE, UK
> uzeshan at uclan.ac.uk
> Ph. +44-1772-893104

> In what I've read, Signuno and "International Sign" are generally
> regarded as distinct.  The relationship of Gestuno to International
> Sign is less clear--sometimes they are talked about as if they are
> different names for the same thing, sometimes they are talked about
> as different.  Not having personal experience with either, I'm in
> doubt.
>
> Is there anyone on this list who uses one or both on a regular basis
> who could comment?
>
> Albert

Professor Bencie Woll, BA, MA, PhD
Chair of Sign Language and Deaf Studies & Director, DCAL Centre
University College London
49 Gordon Square
London WC1H 0PD
Tel: 020 7679 8670