ISO 639-3 code for International Sign Language--a good idea? How to proceed?

Albert Bickford albert_bickford at sil.org
Sat Nov 3 02:09:18 UTC 2007

Someone privately pointed out to me that a summary of Rachel Rosenstock's
thesis is available at
http://gri.gallaudet.edu/Publications/ragu_fall2005.pdf. I found this very
helpful in answering some of my questions, particularly the relationship
between Gestuno and International Sign. (Although the WFD's dictionary of
Gestuno served as the historical impetus for developing International Sign,
there is very little Gestuno vocabulary still used in International Sign.
Instead, International Sign tends to use highly-iconic vocabulary,
especially when the same sign is used in several different sign languages
for a given concept.)

Albert