ISO 639-3 code for International Sign Language--a good idea? How to proceed?

Albert Bickford albert_bickford at sil.org
Sat Nov 3 23:59:45 UTC 2007

One of the most important functions of the ISO 639-3 standard is to provide a consistent system for tagging publications with metadata, to identify what language the publication is in or about.  This could be used, for example, for indexing entries in a bibliography or an archive.  As we've discussed the issue, it seems that there may well be need for an ISO 639-3 code for International Sign (e.g. to indicate what "language" Rosenstock's dissertation is about); I've written to the ISO 639-3 registrar for advice on this.  Whether a separate code is needed for Gestuno is less clear.  If there is only one publication about it (the original 1500-word dictionary), and it is no longer used as such, then possibly the code for International Sign could be extended to include Gestuno.

Albert