ISO 639-3 code for International Sign Language--a good idea? How to proceed?

Rachel Rosenstock rachel_rosenstock at yahoo.com
Sun Nov 4 16:21:32 UTC 2007

I think an ISO code for International Sign at this point might be
appropriate (although there are not all that many publications on it
;-). IS is definitely a lingua franca among some Deaf Community members
in the international realm and while not as conventionalized or complex
as natural sign languages, it is a sophisticated communication system in
its own right.
If I understand the literature correctly, the term "Gestuno" seems to be
used only for the collection of signs published by the WFD in the 1970s
- it never evolved into anything and International Sign as it is used
today has very little if anything to do with the original Gestuno
vocabulary.
Signuno is a different beast altogether. I think it could also be dubbed
'Signing Exact Esperanto' - following Esperanto grammar, invented signs,
no spatial grammar, etc. I don't know if or how many users it has...
Greetings,
Rachel