stuttering in signed languages

g c exxcitte at hotmail.com
Fri Nov 30 12:06:55 UTC 2007

Hmmm,

I know a man who stutters a great deal when speaking, but does not stutter when reading out load. In fact he reads very well, well enough to do radio!
This may be fairly common in stutterers and may help explain some of the cases where one stutters in an audio situation and not in a visual.

I might guess that the stutter is still there, and the visual information curbs it. So visualizing signs (or spoken words) masks the stutter and proper movement occurs.

Next time I see this man I think I`ll ask him if he can visualize a few phrases before he says them..

Victor Tilley