stuttering in signed languages?

Theresa B. Smith tbsmith at eskimo.com
Wed Oct 24 16:37:01 UTC 2007

I once saw a native deaf woman stutter in ASL as she was talking to people in front of the group.  She was, however, a regular member of the community, married etc. -- her stuttering was not severe enough to interfere with general acceptance.  She did not appear to have CP or other physiological - movement stutters, only when she signed.

I also heard tell of a hearing many in California who stuttered severely in spoken English but signed without problems and so, hung out with the Deaf students at CSUN.

Theresa Smith