stuttering in signed languages

Karen Emmorey kemmorey at mail.sdsu.edu
Fri Oct 26 15:06:01 UTC 2007

In some recent talks, I have hypothesized that stuttering might be
rare in sign language because there is a weak link between visual
feedback and sign production.  Some theories of stuttering
hypothesize a disruption between auditory feedback and speech
production.  Also, delayed auditory feedback can cause stuttering and
can sometimes improve symptoms in stutterers.  So I've been following
the anecdotes to see whether I could rule out sign stuttering due to
late learning or as an effect that carries over from speech in
hearing signers.  So I guess we have an interesting result either
way.  If stuttering turns out to be as common in signers as in
speakers, then this suggests that stuttering is indeed a language
disorder.  On the other hand, if stuttering turns out to be rare in
sign language, this supports my hypothesis that visual feedback is
not strongly linked to language output, compared to spoken language.

Karen Emmorey

Dr. Karen Emmorey
Professor, Speech, Language, and Hearing Sciences
San Diego State University

Director, Laboratory for Language and Cognitive Neuroscience
6495 Alvarado Road, Suite 200
San Diego, CA 92120

Office (voice); (619) 594-8080
Lab (voice): (619) 594-8049